Sunday, March 25, 2012

Would be "selfish" to retire - Tendulkar

Tired by the incessant questions about his retirement, Sachin
Tendulkar has insisted that the decision to quit cricket ishis alone
and it would be"selfish" to make an exit when he was "on top" of
hisgame. Tendulkar also lashedout at some of the former India
cricketers who had suggested he should have followed in the footsteps
of his former India team-mate Rahul Dravid, who retired recently.
Tendulkar said former players had no business making decisions for
him.
"When I feel I don't have that, on that day, I will think of
retirement," Tendulkar said at a media conference in Mumbai, convened
by the World Sports Group, his brand managers, to celebrate his
milestone of reaching a hundred international hundreds. "I feel those
who say you should retire at the top are selfish because when you are
at the top you should serve the country instead of retiring,"
Tendulkar, who reached the milestone in Dhaka, against Bangladesh,
said in Hindi."I feel that when I retire is something that I would
decide because when I started it was not decided by someone else.
Those who are advising me about retirement did not bring me in the
team. I get my strength from my coaches and family."
Earlier, in an hour-long meeting with editors from the media, which
preceded the press conference,Tendulkar had said he did not have
anymore dreams now. "I don't have any other dream now. There were two
big dreams: one was playing forIndia and the second was to lift the
World Cup. That was my biggest dream," Tendulkar had said. At the same
time Tendulkar had pointed out that he had not at all thought about
retirement. "May be you guys have not understood properly. I have
always saidthat when I decided to retireI will let you know. Where is
the question of not answering?," Tendulkar said.Tendulkar said that he
was not looking too much into thefuture and about whether hewould
available for the 2015World Cup, which would be his seventh
appearance."When this question was asked in 2007 [about the 2011 World
Cup], it was tough for me to answer. It's the same situation; I don't
know what to say about 2015. If people keep prayingfor me that means a
lot for me. I will keep trying, the rest is in god's hands. I justwant
to enjoy the game. I don't want to set targets."

No comments:

Post a Comment